The Latin saying "Mens sana in corpore sano" (healthy mind in a healthy body) is so true! It has been shown that daily brain exercises help develop neuronal growth (in the sense that more neuronal connections are formed from the existing ones). Exercising your brain will promote growth of more neuronal connections and neurogenesis (neurons are the brain cells that transmit the thought and sensations through electrical impulses across their cellular membrane).
- Brain training produces real world benefits: enhance memory, attention and creativity
- Interestingly, exercising the body has been proven to enhance neurogenesis
- Eating healthy (including the healthy fats ALA, DHA & EPA -omega 3-s, which nourish the myelin - the neuronal cellular membrane, is very important to prevent various health problems like multiple sclerosis, dementia, depression, autism, ADHD, etc.)
- Loosing weight has been linked with lowering the risk and improving conditions like diabetes, which are linked to early dementia symptoms
- It is beneficial to consume clean pure foods and live in an Eco-friendly environment to limit exposure to heavy metals and various pollutants that are brain toxic, this will also prevent brain cancer development, so always choose organic raw produces as much as possible
- Neuronal cell membrane will be damaged by the oxidative stress (free radicals), and thus natural antioxidant consumption will have a beneficial outcome in preventing and treating neuro-degenerative disease (a diet rich in fresh raw fruits and vegetables will provide antioxidants in a natural way, it is highly recommended the daily consumption of berries, pomegranates, dark grapes, purple yam)
- Vitamin E excess (> 400 IU/day), vascular risk factors (like hypertension grade A), estrogens and genetic background were all linked with high risk to develop dementia
- A few days per month do a natural juice fast and when needed perform a detox (in the case of heavy metal poisoning) using natural chelators like cilantro (for a mild detox) and clay, zeolite, fulvic acid (more potent chelators) and water enemas will clean the body of the waste due to environmental exposure and unhealthy eating habits. Note: your health care provider can detect heavy metal intoxication by performing routine tests in the clinical lab- any hospital will be able to check lead and mercury levels in blood (there is no need to go to some obscure natural health clinics to have these done) and these tests are covered by most insurance companies (in USA) as routine tests
- Practice meditation (we liked Deepak Chopra's Leela Xbox, PS, WII game), use binaural brainwave sounds/music, play music, do math exercises, solve logic problems, paint to improve your brain function
We tested and we really liked and highly recommend using the brain exercises provided by Lumosity daily!